Saturday, September 20, 2008

Don't panic - steel is real...

If you are an observant Tikit owner you'll notice that there are a few spots on your frame where the powder coat is rubbing off. The latch that holds the Tikit closed, the back of the seat post where the rear triangle "cups" the bike in the closed position and under the bottom bracket where the hyper-fold cable runs are the areas I'm aware of.

There is no reason to panic about this or worry that your frame will be damaged in any significant way. The powder coat has been worn away by the metal on metal contact in these areas. The same action will keep rust at bay, but will not wear through the parts in question. My Tikit was my main winter bike last year - dealing with salty/gritty roads typical of Canada. A careful examination of these exposed steel areas on my Tikit shows no rust at all.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Vik,

I must admit I'm fighting the groove being cut into my BB shell. I've tried a piece of Mr. Tuffy, Some PVC that was formally my parking hang tag and am looking for some scrap stainless steel I know is somewhere in the basement.... (a ramp from a pinball machine - remember 8 Ball Deluxe?)

I will win!

/kemal

Vik said...

Kemal the powder coat on the Tikit BB shell can be quite thick. Are you sure the hyper-fold cable is cutting into your BB and not just digging into the powder coat?

Do you have any photos you could send me of the area in question?

cheers,

Vik

Anonymous said...

Hi Vik,

I've recently bought a Tikit, and noticed the cable responsible for the folding is rubbing against the front fender. It's kinda wearing away at the fender from steering.

Did you ever have that problem on your Tikits?

Thanks!

Ty

Vik said...

Hey Ty,

I had a look at my Tikit and I've got quite a lot of clearance between the hyper-fold cable and the fender.

Can you send me a photo of that area on your bike so I can see what's happening?

cheers,

Vik

Unknown said...

Hi Vik,

I thought it was the BB shell. It's really the rear end pivot shell. After only six weeks it is quite worn through. The bike gets two daily folds. As the cable gains tension it rubs by this shell, not just applied against.

I'm now trying some Velox rim strip. If this falls off/gets cut I'll send along some pictures.

Best,

Kemal