Friday, May 30, 2008

My Tikit Trademark....

It's telling that in a number of local businesses I'm known not by my name, my swarthy good looks, my witty jokes or my loyalty program card number. They know me as "...the guy with the folding bike..." I always use my Tikit when I pick up or return a rental car so the folks at Budget recognize my Bike Friday first and then connect the dots to me. I get a laugh every time someone remarks..."...oh yeah you're the guy with the cool bike!" Frequently that's followed up with "...can you turn it into a bike for me???....cool....now fold it again!.." I have even been video taped at Blockbuster folding/unfolding my Tikit because other customers wanted proof to back up their story when they got home.

Life with a Bike Friday is never anonymous or boring...=-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever had problems in any stores? Most business owners/workers are pretty positive towards me and my bike but I've gotten a leery look or two wheeling it into a big box store. The only place to say "bikes aren't allowed in here" was the post office but they didn't actually kick me out, I think she felt obligated to say it. Just wondering what your experience was on that front since you've had yours for quite awhile.

Vik said...

So far I haven't had a single complaint - even when I rolled it into my doctor's building [big no bikes sign on the door] uncovered. If I did get any flack I'd just cover it with the shower cap and carry it in.

The great part about all the global warming/carbon crisis media coverage is that riding bikes is far more acceptable as a socially constructive thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got some referrals to cash in on, Vik.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Walter I'm glad you chimed in about the bonuses for Vik. I was thinking the same thing, after reading another post where someone said that Vik's blog helped him decide to buy a tikit. Go Vik, and go BF!

Vik said...

Hey Walter...thanks for the link to the referrals programs, but I'm not interested in trying to get people to tell BF that I helped point them in the direction of buying a bike. First off I don't talk to many of the users of this site personally or at least not in any way that I'd know who is buying a BF and secondly that sounds way too much like I'm trying to get folks to buy Bike Fridays - which I'm not.

I'd be more than happy to get some bikes/products to test from Bike Friday if my site/efforts have been helpful in getting people on Tikits, but as soon as I'm involved in some program where I get money per bike sold I just don't like the sound of that.

Hopefully that makes some sense!...=-)