Saturday, December 15, 2007

Buying a Tikit

Photo from Bike Friday website

My first stop when seriously considering buying a Tikit was the Bike Friday website. To their credit it is chock full of information - both factual and entertaining. If you want to know something about Bike Friday's bikes, accessories or the company - the answer is on their site. It may take you a while to find it and you may not be able to put your finger on it easily the next day, but the facts are there...=-) I really think they need to reorganize the content in a more logical and straightforward way so that new customers can get the information they need quickly and easily. It would also allow existing customers to find something they had read earlier without a lot of detective work.

Although it was at times a bit frustrating I plugged away at the Bike Friday website until I had a pretty good idea that I wanted a stock 8 speed Tikit. I had some questions, such as sizing, tire selection and accessories, that I wanted to speak to a human about and I also wanted to confirm what the price would be under the current promotion.

I called BFs 1-800 number, which works for my part of Canada, and ended up speaking to Bruno Lindelien [pictured above]. He was helpful and we narrowed down what I wanted and what the costs would be fairly quickly. I ended up ordering:
  • large stock 8 speed Tikit [10% off w/ promotion]
  • shower cap bag [free w/ promotion]
  • single sided front rack
  • Total $1,125.00USD + shipping
There were one thing that I wasn't totally stoked about:
  • The only shipping option to Canada was FEDEX @ $150. My experience with FEDEX has been under performance at a premium price. This time was no exception. I won't bore you with the details, but I'd really like it if BF offered a USPS shipping option to Canada. After all the Tikit is a small travel bike the shipping cost for it shouldn't be as much as full size bike.
Overall I was pleased with the service I received during the ordering process and I'd order another bike from BF. If they resolved the issues noted above I'd give them an A+ and even with those issues I'd give them a B+.

No comments: