Photo by Alex Wetmore
The Tikit is a great bike with the right add ons it could be even more useful.
Front two pannier rack:
- The single sided rack is useful for light loads, but you cannot load it heavily without compromising the Tikit's handling.
- I'm happy to say BF is going to build me a custom 2 pannier front rack in the early part of 2008. I'm very impressed with the responsiveness to my phone call.
- right after a front rack that carries two panniers I'd like a rear rack that will accept a couple panniers and have a shelf to strap stuff to.
- I've got a pic on this blog of a German Tikit with a rear rack, but have not confirmed that this will be a Bike Friday production item.
- Talking to Bike Friday they weren't sure what was going to happen as far as coming out with a rear rack. I'll look into in some more next time I speak with them about my front rack.
- I like Schwalbe tires. I have them on most of my bikes. On the Tikit the stock Marathons are durable, but not particularly fast or comfortable. I think the 40-349 Scorchers will fit under the Tikit fenders and should offer less rolling resistance with a more plush ride. The trade off may be shorter lifespan and high chance of flats.
- I'll run the stock tires until early summer and then put some scorchers on.
- I really like Alex's custom porteur rack. He isn't making them for sale, but hopefully Bike Friday will take him up on the offer to copy his design.
- Being able to strap a normal bag or a box to the front of the Tikit would be a very practical option.
- Based on where they are with a rear rack for the Tikit I wouldn't hold out much hope for seeing this from BF any time soon.